Click Here to view this video.
A year ago Nicco Fertitta got a first-person look at Notre Dame during a spring visit.
On Saturday, the three-star safety from Las Vegas ended his recruitment back in South Bend. The 5-foot-9, 172-pound defensive back and U.S. Army All-American became Notre Dame’s sixth verbal commitment in the Class of 2015 and third get in barely a week, following safety Prentice McKinney and receiver Jalen Guyton.
“Excited to say I'm officially committed to THE University of Notre Dame #GoIrish #WeAreND” Fertitta posted on Twitter soon after making his decision.
Fertitta returned to Notre Dame this weekend as the Irish worked through spring practice.
He’ll depart South Bend on Sunday.
Irish Illustrated spoke with Fertitta at the Rivals Camp Series presented by Under Armour outside Los Angeles in early March. At that point the safety said he didn’t have a leaderboard but indicated that he’d come to a decision this spring. Other offers on the table were from Arizona, Boston College, Hawaii, Houston, Indiana, UNLV, Utah and Villanova.
Notre Dame offered the Bishop Gorman standout in late January. That’s the same prep program that produced starting offensive tackle Ronnie Stanley.
“It’s a big time school and a big time program,” Fertitta said. “It was a good feeling. I didn’t think they would offer me this early. I had a feeling that eventually they were going to. They had been recruiting me throughout the season. I had gone out to the campus once and went back for a camp. Ever since then they had kept a close eye on me. Ever since then I knew they were very interested.”
That interest only intensified as Fertitta returned to Notre Dame almost a year to the date of that spring practice visit 12 months ago.
Fast forward another year and Fertitta should be a Notre Dame signee.
“It’s an amazing campus, the coaches around the team, the coaching staff is just as good as anywhere else I’ve been,” Fertitta said last month. “You can tell that when you walk in.”