Irish In The NFL: Drue Tranquill Makes A Name For Himself On Special Teams
Nine games into his career, former Notre Dame linebacker Drue Tranquill has already made a name for himself in the NFL as one of league’s best special teams players.
Through nine games this season, nine of the rookie’s 29 total tackles for the Los Angeles Chargers have come on special teams, which is tied for second in the NFL behind Miles Killebrew (10) of the Detroit Lions.
Entering this weekend, Pro Football Focus had a 90.6 grade on Tranquill for special teams, which based on their grading system is considered a “high-quality” player.
All he did on Sunday against the Green Bay Packers was add to that with a blocked punt.
Drue Tranquill, who has a 90.6 special teams grade this year, has just blocked a punt.— PFF LA Chargers (@PFF_Chargers) November 3, 2019
Tranquill has performed so well on special teams that he has begun to earn buzz as a possible Pro Bowler. PFF even listed him as their honorable mention special teams player in their 2019 Midseason NFL All-Pro Team.
He has also begun to see the field more for the Chargers on defense. He's played at least 33 percent of the team's defensive snaps at linebacker in their last five games. The rookie did not register a single snap on that side of the ball in the team's first three games.
Former Notre Dame Football Players In The NFL: Week Nine Recap
Here is how former Notre Dame players fared during week nine of the NFL season:
• Josh Adams (Played at Notre Dame from 2015-17), RB, New York Jets: Signed from the 1-7 Jets’ practice squad Nov. 5 ... It marks his first time on an active NFL roster this season.
• Alex Bars (2014-18), OG, Chicago Bears: Was inactive for the 3-6 Bears’ 22-14 road loss to the 5-4 Philadelphia Eagles.
• Miles Boykin (2015-18), WR, Baltimore Ravens: Was targeted once but had zero catches in the 6-2 Ravens’ 37-20 victory over the 8-1 New England Patriots … For the season, he has nine receptions for 131 yards and two scores.
• Sheldon Day (2012-15), DL, San Francisco 49ers: Recorded zero tackles in the 8-0 49ers’ 28-25 road win over the 3-5-1 Arizona Cardinals … Has compiled seven tackles through eight games played.
• Tyler Eifert (2009-12), TE, Cincinnati Bengals: The 0-8 Bengals had a bye … Has 23 catches for 192 yards and one touchdown through eight games.
• Matthias Farley (2011‑15), DB, New York Jets: Played on special teams and two defensive snaps in the 1-7 Jets’ 26-18 loss to the 1-7 Miami Dolphins.
• Will Fuller (2013-15), WR, Houston Texans: Missed the 6-3 Texans’ 26-3 win over the 4-5 Jacksonville Jaguars in London due to a hamstring injury ... He could be back in week 11 ... Has 34 receptions for 450 yards and three touchdowns in six games played.
• Bennett Jackson (2010-13), DB, Baltimore Ravens: Participated in 16 special teams snaps in the Ravens’ victory over the Patriots … Played in his second career NFL game last week after overcoming several career setbacks.
• J.J. Jansen (2004-07), LS, Carolina Panthers: Participated in 11 special teams snaps in the 5-3 Panthers’ 30-20 home win over the 4-5 Tennessee Titans … Has served as the team’s long snapper in all eight games.
• Ben Koyack (2011-14), TE, Jacksonville Jaguars: Targeted once for zero catches in the 4-5 Jaguars loss to the 6-3 Texans ... This was his fourth game of the season after getting signed three weeks ago.
• TJ Jones (2010‑13), WR, Free Agent: Was cut by the New York Giants to make room for Golden Tate, when he returned from his four-game suspension … For the season, he has three receptions for 38 yards and a touchdown in three games played with the Giants … Has yet to be signed by a new team, but reportedly worked out for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
• DeShone Kizer (2014-16), QB, Oakland Raiders: Did not play in the 4-4 Raiders’ 31-24 home win over the 3-4-1 Detroit Lions … Has yet to see game action since joining the team at the end of the preseason.
• Julian Love (2015-18), CB, New York Giants: Recorded no stats in the 2-7 Giants’ 37-18 home loss versus the 5-3 Dallas Cowboys on Monday night.
• Nick Martin (2011-15), OL, Houston Texans: For the ninth game in a row, he played 100 percent of the offensive snaps at center in the 6-3 Texans’ victory versus the Jaguars.
• Zack Martin (2009-13), OL, Dallas Cowboys: Started in the 5-3 Cowboys win over the 2-7 Giants.
• Mike McGlinchey (2013-17), OL, San Francisco 49ers: Did not play in 8-0 San Francisco’s 28-25 road win against the Cardinals after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his left knee … It's possible he could be back next week … Had started at right tackle in each of San Francisco’s first four contests.
• Quenton Nelson (2014-17), OL, Indianapolis Colts: Played 100 percent of the 5-3 Colts’ offensive snaps in their 26-24 loss to the 4-4 Steelers... He did not have his best game of the season and also fell on the leg of his quarterback Jacoby Brisset, which strained the signal-caller’s MCL … Has played every offensive snap of his career thus far.
• Romeo Okwara (2012-15), DE, Detroit Lions: Was on the field for 41 defensive snaps in the 3-4-1 Lions’ 31-24 road loss to the 4-4 Oakland Raiders … For the season, he has 12 tackles, half a sack and a forced fumble … He was also recently on a photography assignment for Rolling Stone.
• C.J. Prosise (2012-15), RB, Seattle Seahawks: Did not play in the 7-2 Seahawks’ 40-34 overtime home win over the 2-6 Tampa Bay Buccaneers … Has 13 carries for 41 yards and a touchdown, plus nine receptions for 66 yards in seven contests.
• Isaac Rochell (2013-16), DT, Los Angeles Chargers: Notched one tackle in 4-5 Los Angeles’ 26-11 home win against the 7-2 Green Bay Packers … For the season, he has nine tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss and one sack.
• Kyle Rudolph (2008-10), TE, Minnesota Vikings: Hauled in three passes for 23 yards and a touchdown in the 6-3 Vikings’ 26-23 road loss to the 6-3 Kansas City Chiefs … For the season, he has 20 receptions for 170 yards and two touchdowns.
• Harrison Smith (2007-11), S, Minnesota Vikings: Notched eight tackles, one tackle for loss, one sack and one pass deflection in the Vikings’ loss at Kansas City … For the season, he has 53 tackles, one forced fumble and one interception.
• Jaylon Smith (2013-15), LB, Dallas Cowboys: Notched 12 tackles, half a sack and a quarterback hit in the Cowboys’ win at New York on Monday night … Has 68 tackles (41 solo), 2.5 sacks and two forced fumbles in his first eight contests... Tied for 13th in the NFL in total tackles.
• Durham Smythe (2013-17), TE, Miami Dolphins: Played 25 offensive snaps during 1-7 Miami’s 26-18 home win over the 1-7 New York Jets … For the season, he has one reception for 24 yards.
• Ronnie Stanley (2012-15), OT, Baltimore Ravens: Played 100 percent of the offensive snaps in Baltimore’s impressive home win over New England, but was a little hobbled at the end of the game … Has started each of the first eight contests at left tackle.
• Golden Tate (2007-09), WR, New York Giants: Was targeted six times and had six receptions for 42 yards in the Giants’ home loss against the Cowboys ... Has 29 catches for 322 yards and one touchdown in five games played since returning from a suspension.
• Jerry Tillery (2015-18), DT, Los Angeles Chargers: Recorded one tackle in the 4-5 Chargers’ win over the Packers…. For the season, he has compiled nine tackles and 1.5 sacks.
• Drue Tranquill (2014-18), LB, Los Angeles Chargers: Registered five solo tackles and a blocked punt in Los Angeles’ victory versus Green Bay … Has 29 tackles through eight games, and has been excellent on special teams this season.
• Stephon Tuitt (2011-13), DE, Pittsburgh Steelers: Did not play in the 4-4 Steelers’ 26-24 win over the 5-3 Colts ... Due to a torn pectoral muscle, he is out for the season... Before his injury, he was tied for 19th in the NFL in sacks (3.5) and tied for sixth in tackles for loss (seven), plus he had made 22 tackles.
• Dexter Williams (2015-18), RB, Green Bay Packers: Played six special teams snaps in the Packers’ road loss to the Chargers … This was the third game he was active for this season.