Notre Dame Commits And Targets Earn Preseason Honors From MaxPreps
Over the past several days, MaxPreps has been unveiling its preseason honors for the 2020 season. The website — which is dedicated to covering high school sports — has rolled out some of its all-state teams, as well as its All-America, All-Junior and All-Sophomore squads.
Most notably, Notre Dame quarterback pledge Tyler Buchner was named to MaxPreps’ All-America first team as an “all-purpose” player.
“[Buchner] put up video game numbers as a junior at Bishop’s (La Jolla, Calif.),” MaxPreps’ Zack Poff wrote. “The 2021 Notre Dame commit accounted for 6,084 yards of total offense (4,474 passing, 1,610 rushing) and 81 touchdowns (53 passing, 28, rushing).”
Buchner was also listed as the quarterback on the first-team offense for the state of California.
Mansfield (Texas) Legacy defensive end David Abiara earned a spot on the Lone Star State’s second-team defense, with Poff noting that: “The 2021 Notre Dame commit is one of the most talented defensive players in Texas.”
Pickerington (Ohio) Central’s Lorenzo Styles Jr., who is Notre Dame’s lone wide receiver commit in the 2021 class, was tabbed as a member of Ohio’s first-team offense.
In the Peach State, Hartwell (Ga.) Hart County tight end and Notre Dame pledge Cane Berrong received second-team offense honors. Berrong committed to Notre Dame last summer over Alabama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas and others.
MaxPreps has not released all-state preseason teams for other states which Notre Dame commits hail from.
Here are some notable Notre Dame targets on the preseason lists:
• Metairie (La.) Archbishop Rummel running back Logan Diggs was listed on the Louisiana’s first-team offense. The big Irish target rushed for 924 yards and five scores last year.
• Irish tight end target Brock Bowers from Napa (Calif.) High was tabbed as a first-team All-American.
• A former Notre Dame commit, Athens (Ga.) Academy wide receiver Deion Colzie was listed on the state of Georgia’s first-team offense.
• Los Angeles Loyola’s Ceyair Wright is a listed on the first-team defense in California, and Poff describes him as “one of the most polished defensive backs in the country.” Wright is a big Notre Dame target in the 2021 cycle.
• Learn more about our print and digital publication, Blue & Gold Illustrated.
• Watch our videos and subscribe to our YouTube channel
• Sign up for Blue & Gold's news alerts and daily newsletter
• Subscribe to our podcast on iTunes
• Like us on Facebook.